Saturday, April 14, 2007

Day 99---Wednesday

I had to post three pictures today to kind of show the process for what we were doing. J took this picture of me and B in the kitchen. After the shirts sat for 24 hours (about), we rinsed them and rinsed them in the sink.

Then we untied them and rinsed them some more in the sink, until they were running almost clear water. Some ran clear-er than others----remember these were 7, 8, and 9 year old girls adding dye, so some were carried away with their dye! This shirt happens to be B's own shirt she did, inside out.

And the last steps happened in the washer. I washed two loads of shirts (about 25 total). I washed them with some Dawn diswashing liquid all the way through a cycle. I then ran it back and did the rinse cycle 3 times for each load. See how blue the water still is? I think this is in the final rinse cycle.

It was a fun project, but the hardest part was the rinsing in the sink. My hands got really tired of squeezing those wet shirts.

3 comments:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Love the colors, that shirt looks great :)

Southern Girl said...

Great photos! I love the washing machine one, especially. I've never tie-dyed t-shirts -- looks like fun!

Desert Songbird said...

I like the washing machine photo. The colors look wonderful.