Friday, February 1, 2008

Day 27---Sunday

I don't know what order you are reading these through---chronological or from the top of the blog to the bottom---so I'll say it here and at the top: I'm cheating a little bit on when these were taken. I was busy adn not taking pictures a lot this week.

This one happens to not be my photography, either. I was doing an experiment with the kids in my class, and I'm the grown-up there in the picture. Thjis experiment is about how arctic animlas can keep warm in the frigid icy temperatures they live in.

Step One: Feel icy water. See how long your hands want to stay in there!

Step Two: Ask the kids how they think animals stay warm. Explain to them about Blubber, or the layer of fat they have to keep them warm.

Step Three : Put their hand in a big baggie of "fat" (shortening), and then submerge their hand, baggie and all in the icy water. Ask them if they feel the cold or not.

This experiment made a lot of sense to me, and the kids seem to think it's neat. Well, not everyone wanted ot put their hands in the shortening, but they all felt the icy water.

1 comment:

Desert Songbird said...

What a great idea to help the kids learn about arctic animals.